Our building, located at 525 Spring Street, is going through renovations as well. Originally built around 1865 as Tally’s Bank, the Spring Street Museum is one of the oldest buildings in Shreveport. Through careful restoration it provides one of the few remaining examples of New Orleans style cast-iron grill work. The original bank vault still has it’s elaborately painted door and houses a permanent exhibit of the history of Shreveport.
Since 1976, the building has been owned and operated by the Shreveport Committee of the National Society of Colonial Dames in Louisiana who oversaw its restoration and placement on the National Register of Historic Places. It currently operates under the Secretary of State’s Museum Program.